Horton Field House was named after Dr. Clifford "Pops" Horton, director of the men's Health and Physical Education Department at Illinois State for 33 years. He served at the University from 1923-1961 and Horton Field House opened in 1963. It was the first major building on the West campus - a field house for men's physical education, which replaced McCormick Gym. The field house contains 8,000 seats.
While not managed by Campus Recreation, Horton Field House's main area and North Gym are utilized to host a variety of Intramural Sports activities, as well as a practice facility for many of our Sport Clubs. Student groups can reserve this facility by contacting Redbird Athletics at (309) 438-0080.